Google
Web Complaining page

Electricity Meter...

When the meter reading for our electricity bill was taken in February 2007, the staff realised that the meter was not functioning and so asked us to pay proportionate amount as the bill which we did. They were supposed to install the new meter shortly. We let out the house for rent but the house was lying vacant for 2 months when the next meter reading was due.Inspite of giving a letter about the house lying vacant and then another letter when the tenants shifted in, we were told to pay the proportionate amount again since the meter was not replaced.Couple of visits to the local Electricity Board office followed. I was told that since the auditor will suspect that the Electricity Board staff have taken a bribe from us for showing a Nil bill, I have to and must pay the proportionate amount even when one single unit is not used.

My question is does it mean that all meters are functioning correctly at all times without any single meter breaking down. I did not know that our electricity service is so efficient.... The staff might be showing atleast some number of meters as defective and to be replaced else the auditor would have suspicions in this area too. Replacing the meter is the task of the EB board, why must I pay money unnecessarily when they have failed in their duty? On top of all this, they say why did u give a letter stating that the house is vacant?

None of my arguments could change the mind of the staff and I reluctantly shelled out the money.All I wanted to know is that why should I pay money when I am not using a service?? Okay, it goes to our government, but if that is the case I can spend the money on some good cause and get some satisfaction atleast.After all, money does not grow on trees.

Finally, I had to meet the Assistant Engineer (AE) who yelled at his juniors and promised me that the meter would be replaced shortly. I had to meet this gentleman once again to remind him and as usual he just passed the buck on to the juniors. As per my last meeting with him about two weeks back, he was supposed to replace the meter the next day itself since the staff in charge of replacing the meter was on leave that day.

I am still waiting for them to come and replace the meter.....I will surely update the blog once the meter gets replaced that is if at all it gets replaced...